Wednesday, January 6, 2016

How Much Do You Weigh? Really...

I used to be in denial about my weight. I weighed 198 when I left for college at 17 in Fall of 1992 and I was a comfortable size 14. I lost down to 175 right before I got pregnant with Kalia, thanks to my roommate Dayhna Carroll who would literally take the cheetos out of my hand and encourage me to exercise (Thanks, Dayhna!) I was a happy size 14 because I loved being the big girl who could move like a little girl. Jess Bergeman and Taishya Adams and I all bonded over this! I was an up and coming rapper and performer and I was treated differently when I lost those few pounds. The looks, the stares, made me feel naked and the real me invisible. With the babies came 30 pounds and my body was comfortable at 230 regardless of what I did. I got up to 270 after the Twins and after Benji but 2015 was the first year I was serious about doing the work it took to lose the weight. 
    Weight is just a number. It's not a reflection of who you are. But the times I went from 230 to 270, I would not have weighed myself for months. I was in serious denial until Nakea Hughes rescued me with a bag of clothes that were too small for her because I was a size 24/26. That was a wake up call. We have to face the numbers. Being obese or overweight puts us at risk for PREVENTABLE diseases. We don't have to get high blood pressure or diabetes or heart disease. What you do today will help to determine your fate. So how much do you weigh, really? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The More things Change, The More They Stay the Same

 It’s February 20th and I’m up in my gym clothes ready to go. I have really struggled staying consistent with diet and exercise since 2021 w...