Monday, January 9, 2012

Keeping up the Pace

So, the good news is I lost 5 pounds in less than a week. And I've recruited my mom and the twins Grandma, who will be joining me on the fast. They both suffer from many of the health ailments I am trying to avoid: High blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, divurticulitis...They will not be juicing for 40 days, they will be doing the fast my church is doing which is basically, no fried foods, no sweets, no red meat or pork for 40 days. Based on their diets, that will really be beneficial to them. So I'm really proud of the accomplishments I've made in such a short period of time.

The not-so-good news is: I've been in somewhat of a serious mood lately. It's not that I'm not happy- it's just that I feel more sensitive to things. I heard this can happen when you change your diet- especially becoming vegetarian or vegan. My daughter's attitude has seemed to bother me more than usual, my husband's quietness- I immediately picked up that he was troubled by something- I seem to intuit more with my students in the classroom (and I'm just meeting them). I don't really know what's going on- but I do know that I have to try to keep my emotions in check (because I almost went ham on my daughter yesterday). I will journal more to try to get ot the bottom of what I am feeling and whether or not it relates to food. I do know as I remove my crutch of food, I will have to pick up other ways of dealing with my emotions (exercising, journaling, talking it out, praying). It's just like when you stop smoking, you need something to replace that coping mechanism, same with food.

I am looking forward to starting the fast Wednesday and getting a more structured exercise routine. For this week all I'm doing is calesthetics- I got my planks up to 15 seconds! I'm imagining the possibilities when my mind is freed up to think about something other than food all the time. I ate well this weekend. I took some time out to just enjoy the food. And healthy food tastes good! It's a misconception that vegetables are nasty. It's just that you have to change and train your palate to like food that's good for you. I haven't had fast food in weeks which is probably why my palate is more accepting of things that are nourishing to my body rather than nourishing to my emotions. I just hope I can set a good example. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The More things Change, The More They Stay the Same

 It’s February 20th and I’m up in my gym clothes ready to go. I have really struggled staying consistent with diet and exercise since 2021 w...